Welcome to MovieandPop.com!
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      ProfileProfile    Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in

Earthlink news servers are back...

 
   Movie Forums (Home) -> Silent Films RSS
Next:  GODLESS MEN-1920  
Author Message
Eric Grayson

External


Since: Nov 05, 2005
Posts: 534



(Msg. 1) Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:28 am
Post subject: Earthlink news servers are back...
Archived from groups: alt>movies>silent (more info?)

Well, I've been rather cut out for the last several days given the fact
that Earthlink's news servers were down, out, and nowhere to be found.
I was wondering if I'd missed anything of earthshattering importance,
(and there is a gap from 12/8 to 12/16 in which no messages made it to
the server).

Alas, when I got back, I discovered that Shelps, Lloyd, and Moran are
involved in another argument about Chaplin films.

Is there anything INTERESTING that transpired?

Eric

 >> Stay informed about: Earthlink news servers are back... 
Back to top
Login to vote
mikegebert

External


Since: Oct 20, 2005
Posts: 720



(Msg. 2) Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:28 am
Post subject: Re: Earthlink news servers are back... [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Vitaphone wrote:
> "Eric Grayson" wrote in message
>
>
> >
> > Is there anything INTERESTING that transpired?
> >
> > Eric
>
>
> Welcome back, and all seems to be normal for the group these days --- in
> other words, inane posts gain immediate attention and numerous replies while
> thoroughly worthy topics in other posts are largely shunned, ignored or both
> unless they contain keywords such as "Chaney," "Keaton," etc.

I'm gonna respond to Lloyd's post about The Oyster Princess as soon as
I watch the second half of The Wildcat, honest I am.

 >> Stay informed about: Earthlink news servers are back... 
Back to top
Login to vote
Lloyd Fonvielle

External


Since: Aug 20, 2006
Posts: 231



(Msg. 3) Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:28 am
Post subject: Re: Earthlink news servers are back... [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Eric Grayson wrote:

> Well, I've been rather cut out for the last several days given the fact
> that Earthlink's news servers were down, out, and nowhere to be found.
> I was wondering if I'd missed anything of earthshattering importance,
> (and there is a gap from 12/8 to 12/16 in which no messages made it to
> the server).
>
> Alas, when I got back, I discovered that Shelps, Lloyd, and Moran are
> involved in another argument about Chaplin films.
>
> Is there anything INTERESTING that transpired?

A most interesting review of "Pandora's Box" . . .



Mar de Cortes Baja

www.mardecortesbaja.com <http://www.mardecortesbaja.com/blog>
 >> Stay informed about: Earthlink news servers are back... 
Back to top
Login to vote
Bill Vermillion

External


Since: Oct 20, 2005
Posts: 440



(Msg. 4) Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:05 am
Post subject: Re: Earthlink news servers are back... [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

In article ,
Eric Grayson wrote:
>Well, I've been rather cut out for the last several days given the fact
>that Earthlink's news servers were down, out, and nowhere to be found.
>I was wondering if I'd missed anything of earthshattering importance,
>(and there is a gap from 12/8 to 12/16 in which no messages made it to
>the server).

Actually the servers were up but they were not getting any new
news. I checked that by subscribing to a group I had not and got
about 200 messages that stopped on 12/8. I also reset a counter on
another group and got messages back as far as February.

They NEVER answered my email of 4 days ago.

>Alas, when I got back, I discovered that Shelps, Lloyd, and Moran are
>involved in another argument about Chaplin films.

>Is there anything INTERESTING that transpired?

I'm going to look at another sourece to see if I can fill in the
missing week.

That's pretty poor service for a major provider IMO.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
 >> Stay informed about: Earthlink news servers are back... 
Back to top
Login to vote
Lloyd Fonvielle

External


Since: Aug 20, 2006
Posts: 231



(Msg. 5) Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:41 am
Post subject: Re: Earthlink news servers are back... [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

wrote:

> I'm gonna respond to Lloyd's post about The Oyster Princess as soon as
> I watch the second half of The Wildcat, honest I am.

I'm hoping for Gebert posts about the other Lubitsch silents that I can
respond to.

Incidentally, I just watched "Crainquebille", the second film in the
recently released collection of Feyder silents, and I must say I'm not
hopeful about Feyder joining my personal pantheon of overlooked masters
of the silent screen.

"Crainquebille" is a perfectly good, tasteful and well-made rendition of
a literary text, very much like "The Queen Of Atlantis". Both seem to
have been made by a man who consulted the texts responsibly and worked
out faithful illustrations for them -- without any regard for
transposing them into purely cinematic terms.

"Crainquebille" is handsomely photographed, for the most part, with some
wonderful documentary views of old Paris, it has a fine, understated
performance in the lead role by Maurice de Feraudy, and it plods along
to a fairly moving climax.

What it never does is break loose from its tone of refined, literary
good taste to develop narrative momentum or visual excitement. It
strikes me as a model for the "well-made" film that came to characterize
and stultify the official French film industry, about which snobbish
French intellectuals might observe, "Quite well done -- for a film."

Still, I'm keeping an open mind for "Faces Of Children" . . .



Mar de Cortes Baja

www.mardecortesbaja.com <http://www.mardecortesbaja.com/blog>
 >> Stay informed about: Earthlink news servers are back... 
Back to top
Login to vote
Vitaphone

External


Since: Sep 07, 2006
Posts: 69



(Msg. 6) Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:55 am
Post subject: Re: Earthlink news servers are back... [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"Eric Grayson" wrote in message


>
> Is there anything INTERESTING that transpired?
>
> Eric


Welcome back, and all seems to be normal for the group these days --- in
other words, inane posts gain immediate attention and numerous replies while
thoroughly worthy topics in other posts are largely shunned, ignored or both
unless they contain keywords such as "Chaney," "Keaton," etc.


Jeff
 >> Stay informed about: Earthlink news servers are back... 
Back to top
Login to vote
Vitaphone

External


Since: Sep 07, 2006
Posts: 69



(Msg. 7) Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:23 am
Post subject: Re: Earthlink news servers are back... [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

wrote in message

>

>
> I'm gonna respond to Lloyd's post about The Oyster Princess as soon as
> I watch the second half of The Wildcat, honest I am.
>

There you are --- now >that's< the spirit! Christmas magic, do your stuff!
;)

Jeff
(Who doesn't dislike either Chaney or Keaton, lest anyone think so.)
 >> Stay informed about: Earthlink news servers are back... 
Back to top
Login to vote
james

External


Since: Feb 01, 2006
Posts: 68



(Msg. 8) Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:37 am
Post subject: Re: Earthlink news servers are back... [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Yep, I complained as much as possible. Did the live chat thing and all I
could get out of them
was it was being worked on. And no time frame on when the problem would be
fixed.
Good thing I had a newsgroup account set up on Google Groups. Otherwise, I
would have missed
much more. That would be the only way to fill in the gaps is to go to
Google Groups and read the
posts there. Funny thing is, the rep said that I would be contacted when
everything was back up
and running. They never contacted me at all. I just kept checking back
every day.
james


"Bill Vermillion" wrote in message
> In article ,
> Eric Grayson wrote:
>>Well, I've been rather cut out for the last several days given the fact
>>that Earthlink's news servers were down, out, and nowhere to be found.
>>I was wondering if I'd missed anything of earthshattering importance,
>>(and there is a gap from 12/8 to 12/16 in which no messages made it to
>>the server).
>
> Actually the servers were up but they were not getting any new
> news. I checked that by subscribing to a group I had not and got
> about 200 messages that stopped on 12/8. I also reset a counter on
> another group and got messages back as far as February.
>
> They NEVER answered my email of 4 days ago.
>
>>Alas, when I got back, I discovered that Shelps, Lloyd, and Moran are
>>involved in another argument about Chaplin films.
>
>>Is there anything INTERESTING that transpired?
>
> I'm going to look at another sourece to see if I can fill in the
> missing week.
>
> That's pretty poor service for a major provider IMO.
>
> Bill
>
> --
> Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
 >> Stay informed about: Earthlink news servers are back... 
Back to top
Login to vote
Bill Vermillion

External


Since: Oct 20, 2005
Posts: 440



(Msg. 9) Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:35 am
Post subject: Re: Earthlink news servers are back... [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

In article ,
james wrote:

>Yep, I complained as much as possible. Did the live chat thing
>and all I could get out of them was it was being worked on. And
>no time frame on when the problem would be fixed.

I've found that they are almost totally clueless when it comes to
things other than using a browser. One time I had a problem,
explained in detail what was occuring [I run a small ISP and have
been running news-servers since 1985], I thought they had
understood when they gave me an 800 number to call. The number
was for Netscape :-(

>Good thing I had a newsgroup account set up on Google Groups.
>Otherwise, I would have missed much more. That would be the
>only way to fill in the gaps is to go to Google Groups and read
>the posts there. Funny thing is, the rep said that I would be
>contacted when everything was back up and running. They never
>contacted me at all. I just kept checking back every day.

Them saying the only way to fill in the gaps gives further proof
that they know next to nothing about new-servers, as all they would
have to do is use the history file and gather what they had missed.

Of course with the extremely large volume of news - particularly
if they carry binaries - they may have decided not to waste the
bandwidth on it. I first started when the total news flow was
about 10 MB a day, and now it's in the hundreds of gigabytes.

Bill

>james
>
>
>"Bill Vermillion" wrote in message
>> In article ,
>> Eric Grayson wrote:
>>>Well, I've been rather cut out for the last several days given the fact
>>>that Earthlink's news servers were down, out, and nowhere to be found.
>>>I was wondering if I'd missed anything of earthshattering importance,
>>>(and there is a gap from 12/8 to 12/16 in which no messages made it to
>>>the server).
>>
>> Actually the servers were up but they were not getting any new
>> news. I checked that by subscribing to a group I had not and got
>> about 200 messages that stopped on 12/8. I also reset a counter on
>> another group and got messages back as far as February.
>>
>> They NEVER answered my email of 4 days ago.
>>
>>>Alas, when I got back, I discovered that Shelps, Lloyd, and Moran are
>>>involved in another argument about Chaplin films.
>>
>>>Is there anything INTERESTING that transpired?
>>
>> I'm going to look at another sourece to see if I can fill in the
>> missing week.
>>
>> That's pretty poor service for a major provider IMO.
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> --
>> Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
>
>


--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
 >> Stay informed about: Earthlink news servers are back... 
Back to top
Login to vote
Display posts from previous:   
Related Topics:
Pancho Villa Used Reality TV Back in 1914 (ABC News) - Pancho Villa Used Reality TV Back in 1914 ABC News 09/02/03 Staff Writer Pancho Villa Used Marketing Savvy to Sell Himself to the U.S. Way Before Reality TV Long before MTV's "The Real World" set off the modern reality television cra...

Testing... Earthlink server down - The Earthlink news server for alt.movies.silent has been down since 12/9. Let's see if a posting from me will jump start it... Eric

Good News Bad News Dept. - The Good news: I just noticed that somebody posted the Kevin Brownlow/ David Gill series "Hollywood" to Google Video. The Bad news: I've tried to watch three different episodes now, and all three cut out or get mixed up (the video digitizes in...

Back Pay - Hi guys, I recently saw this Corinne Griffith talkie,and I was interested in what you all thought about this film.I think Corinne after Mae Murray has been one of the biggest surprises for me of all of the silent stars who made the transition to..

Old News - I'm sure this is an old topic to people here, but I've just run across the statements of Doris Deane, Fatty Arbuckle's second wife, in David Yallop's book "The Day the Laughter Stopped", to the effect that Arbuckle wrote and directed every s...
   Movie Forums (Home) -> Silent Films All times are: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum



[ Contact us | Terms of Service/Privacy Policy ]